Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I think I am done!




Short post.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my blog.

I think I am done.

I no longer have the anger, the passion or the care to continue the blog, because well, I am no longer angry.

I spent 46 years advocating the beliefs of the LDS church.

I spent one year questioning their validity.

I am done.

I am however, completely shocked, surprised and.......somewhat honored, that so very many active LDS members within my community took the time to read and comment.

It was almost enough to make me want to continue....but alas......I am sort of done with it all.

I apologize to those who felt I was unfair or angry towards the LDS Church. I do not think anyone has made a valid point about my blog being unfair, but it is true, I was a little angry at what I felt the LDS church had stolen from me.

I no longer feel that way.

I am at peace...... completely.

I had many good years within the LDS Church, there are certainly some things I benefited from. There are also some things that I feel 'cost me' if you will, that were neither necessary, nor valid.

For those who wish to leave the LDS church and try to explain why you have done so and what makes you feel hurt by the process, I support you.

For those who wish to stay actively involved in the LDS community, recognizing the many possible things that might make reasonable minded individuals at least question....I support you.


For those who continue to mindlessly follow the LDS Church without any questioning and possibly in a position that is likely not healthy for self or family, I still support you.


I am sorry to those, of my friends who were upset in anyway by reading my blog. This was more for me....then for you. I needed to get the stuff out.....and now......it is done.

Now onto the beauty service and joy part!

Finally I bid everyone adieu :)

Sincerely

Norm

11 comments:

  1. What a Quickie! I enjoyed it while it lasted! Congratulations Norm! I am happy for you! It is a great place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one have enjoyed reading your blog posts. I admire you for being able to be "done" so quickly. I've been out of Mormonism for 7 years now, and I'm not "done" blogging about it. Of course, this isn't goodbye since we're Facebook friends, and will see each other in October in either SLC or LV. Looking forward to finally meeting you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David van der LeekJune 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

    You may think you're done, but you may find yourself at times with the memory of scars and even new wounds that surface like a virus waiting for a trigger. When you do, and you will, I'll look forward to reading more from the orifice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @David, your likely right, but for now this feels pretty cool. I am honored to know that if I ever need support, the many amazing and wonderful people I have encountered in the ex-mormon community like yourself, will be there to throw me a lifeline....if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to see that you have moved on! I will be honest and say, I did feel offended by all this, as it is something that I hold dear to me, no different than if someone was talking about a family member etc.... Everyone has their own beliefs and can worship who and how they see fit. Life's too short to be negative, I just like being positive!

    But we must always remember and never forget that there is nothing like owning a JEEP! Happy JEEPING....and see ya soon!

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God (or whoever/whatever or no one at all)it is all done! Time to live OUR life -- one that we choose and dictate. Time to be authentic to ourselves -- figure out what we really believe, not to believe something we were told when we were 5 and never questioned. Time to search. It is truly exciting. We are ready to begin a new journey, walk a different path. And no, that doesn't mean sin and debauchery, it means having choices to determine for ourselves what modesty means, what morality means ... what anything means. It's up to us!

    I still don't understand how our changing beliefs offended people. This was a personal blog - people had a choice to read it. For those that didn't like the content - they didn't need to read it. It's just like tv - if you don't like whats on, change the channel. Don't keep going back to the channel that's offending you.

    I too, was amazed at how many people were more interested in what Norm Thompson had to say as an Ex-Mormon, than when he was a Bishop or Stake President. I hope that now everyone can move on -- especially those mormons who were drawn to this blog for some unknown reason to me. The Thompson's are through with mormonism. Thank God (or Allah, or Jehovah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster).

    Gabriele Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  7. My intent was never to offend but to question and certainly, yes....to prod a little. If I offended anyone, you have my apology.

    Now, lets all move on and break some-more jeep stuff.

    I simply have better things to do now.

    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  8. In dual voices of lovely Scottish accents -
    "I'm on my way from misery to happiness today."
    All the best Norm, Gabi and kids
    "live, love, laugh (loudly) and be happy"

    Love Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Norm, and Gabby :D Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. I personally think that when people share the stories of their pain (and their happiness) that this is never a wasted effort. We all have so many choices to make in life and it helps to be able to learn a little something from the experiences of others. See you both on fb. Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Norm.

    Am a fellow ex-mo formerly from the Halton Hills ward.

    Thank you for publishing your story. I found it through RfM.

    All the best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A long, long time ago......I was in that ward....like 26 years ago :)

    ReplyDelete